WholeTrees is the national leader and unrivaled expert in engineering natural unmilled timber for commercial construction. WholesTrees partners with the USDA Small Business Innovation Research program, the US Forest Service Wood Innovation Research program, the USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Earthling Interactive, and engineering experts nationally to develop the technologies and products required to scale low-value cull trees into high-value construction markets.
Our research objectives fall into three categories:
- Software - the WholeTrees Inventory Platform links forest culling supply chains to markets by providing the 3D models, material data, and inventory tracking that forest products companies and building professionals require to confidently fabricate and specify WholeTrees products.
- Grading - our proprietary grading procedures allow us to use smaller, skinnier trees to hold up heavier loads and span wider spaces. We use Non-destructive Evaluation (NDE) techniques to assess material quality and assign optimized design values.
- Products - patented steel connections and truss designs that facilitate up to 60' spans allow WholeTrees to compete in commercial construction markets. Our solar carport product allows parking lots to be forested in tree-columns while generating solar energy, and a connection catalog of over 30 engineered round timber connections.
Information & Sales Sheets
Contact our team for product models in your preferred file formats.
Sustainability + CSR
WholeTrees® Restorative Model
A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and can sequester 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old. By choosing WholeTrees, you can directly incentivise sustainable timber stand improvements that increase the carbon storage capacity of our forests. WholeTrees structures also sequester carbon in service. The climate can benefit not only from CO2 sequestration in large commercial structures, but also from the stabilization of microclimates within highly productive forests.
The building sector is transitioning toward increased transparency, improved material health standards, and greater environmental impact awareness. WholeTrees is proud to be a part of this movement, and we show our commitment in a number of ways.
- Are produced by a Certified B-Corp
- Carry the Declare Red List Free label from Living Future Institute
- Qualify for up to 8 LEED v4 credits
- Show transparency with a Health Product Declaration (HPD)
- Can be FSC certified
- Entail low environmental impacts, demonstrated in a 2011 Life Cycle Assessment
- Are listed in numerous healthy materials databases
“Investing in forests is an insurance policy for the planet.” - Ban Ki-Moon UN Secretary General
Impact Investment: WholeTrees’ supply-to-market software, its manufacturing process, and its first-to-market brand convert unwanted timber into beautiful architectural products and structural systems. At scale, this technology will allow unmilled timber products to compete with steel in price. Given its low raw material costs and high-value markets, WholeTrees is uniquely positioned to capitalize on a major market opportunity while helping timberland owners better manage their assets. New markets for low-value trees results in healthier timberlands, carbon sequestration, rural jobs, less industry waste, and awe-inspiring buildings.For more information, contact Amelia Baxter, CEO firstname.lastname@example.org